Dips & Spreads
Lite (Liverless) Pate
The original recipe for this appetizer came from one of our Weight Loss Clinic members who posted on the Recipe Doctor message board. It sounded so good I just had to try it for myself. The light version worked wonderfully, so I want to share it with all of you.
- 2 cups shredded roasted, skinless, and boneless dark chicken meat (2 thighs and 2 drumsticks work well)
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup low trans-fat margarine with 8 grams fat per tablespoon (such as Take Control®)
- 1/4 cup light cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Dash celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (or more to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves (or more to taste)
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons brandy (add a tablespoon more. if desired)
- 1/3 cup dried currants or other dried fruits (such as cranberries)
1. Add all ingredients to a large food processor bowl. Blend until mostly smooth.
2. Spoon into serving bowl and chill at least six hours. Serve with thinly sliced bread and/or wheat crackers (preferably reduced-fat and higher-fiber).
Per serving: 129 calories, 10 g protein, 5.5 g carbohydrate, 6.5 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 33 mg cholesterol, 0.6 g fiber, 57 mg sodium (not including celery salt). Calories from fat: 50%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Last Editorial Review: 2/14/2006