Pumpkin Potato Soup
The mashed potato adds creaminess to this lower-fat soup.
- 3 cups mashed potatoes, made with low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free half-and-half or low-fat milk
- 1 1/2 cup shredded, reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste (optional)
- 5 tablespoons fat-free or light sour cream
1. Prepare mashed potatoes using milk only (no added butter). Add the pumpkin and fat-free half-and-half (or low-fat milk) to a medium saucepan; whisk to blend well.
2. Add cheese, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon and stir to combine. Cover pan and simmer over low heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add pepper and salt, if desired.
3. Spoon into five serving bowls, then swirl a tablespoon of fat-free or light sour cream in each bowl of soup.
Per serving: 276 calories, 19 g protein, 36 g carbohydrate, 6.5 g fat (4 g saturated fat, 2 g monounsaturated fat, 0.3 g polyunsaturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 3.2 g fiber, 300 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 22%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Last Editorial Review: 2/14/2006