New Orleans Red Beans
- 1 pound dry red beans
- 2 quarts water
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 cup chopped sweet green pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
1. Pick through beans to remove bad beans; rinse thoroughly.
2. In a 5-quart pot, combine beans, water, onion, celery, and bay leaves. Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
3. Cover and cook over low heat for about 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
4. Stir and mash beans against side of pan.
5. Add green pepper, garlic, parsley, thyme, salt, and black pepper. Cook, uncovered, over low heat until creamy, about 30 minutes.
6. Remove bay leaves. Serve over hot, cooked brown rice, if desired (not included in nutrition information).
Per serving: Calories 160, fat 1 g, calories from fat 5%, cholesterol 0 mg, fiber 11 g, sodium 1,023 mg, protein 8 g.
SOURCE: Produce for Better Health.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Last Editorial Review: 2/14/2006