Santa Barbara Chicken Salad
This pasta and fruit chicken salad is perfect for a picnic in the Santa Barbara wine country.
- 2 cups cooked whole-wheat blend pasta (or use regular pasta)
- 1 cup roasted skinless chicken breast meat, cubed
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1/2 cup seedless grapes, halved
- 6 ounce can (in juice) pineapple tidbits, drained
- 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fat-free half-and-half or low-fat milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
1. Chill pasta and chicken thoroughly.
2. Mix chicken, celery, apples, grapes, pineapple, mandarin oranges, and pasta in large bowl.
3. Mix the light mayonnaise, fat-free sour cream, fat-free half-and-half or low-fat milk, sugar, salt (if desired), pepper and nutmeg.
4. Combine mayonnaise and chicken mixtures and toss. Store in the refrigerator.
4 side-dish servings (or 2 entree servings)
Per side-dish serving: 272 calories, 16 g protein, 41 g carbohydrate, 5.8 g fat (1.3 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 4.4 g fiber, 148 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 19%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Last Editorial Review: 2/14/2006