Vegetarian Black Bean Tacos with Chipotle Chile Salsa
- Chipotle Chili Salsa:
1 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped red or sweet onion
2 tablespoons lime juice
3 dried Chipotle chilies, reconstituted, drained, and minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
11 ounces (uncooked weight) black beans
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chopped zucchini or yellow summer squash
1/2 cup shredded low fat Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
1 cup diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups shredded lettuce
8 tortillas warmed
Preparation for tacos:
1. Place black beans in a medium saucepan with water and cover.
2. Stir in remaining minced Chipotle chilies and garlic. Cook beans according to package directions; drain.
3. Meanwhile, stir together tomatoes, zucchini, and bell pepper.
4. Arrange warm black beans, tomato mixture, lettuce, and cheese in separate serving bowls.
5. For each serving, take one flour tortilla; sprinkle each with lettuce; Spoon on black beans, tomato zucchini mixture, and cheese. Top with salsa and cilantro as desired.
Preparation for salsa:
1. Combine tomatoes, half the Chipotle chilies, onion, cilantro, and lime juice in a medium bowl.
2. Set aside to allow flavors to blend (cover and chill if preparing more than 30 minutes ahead).
8 (1 taco each)
Per serving: Calories 281, Fat 3.5 g, Calories from Fat 11%, Cholesterol 11 mg, Fiber 9 g, Sodium 152 mg, Protein 14.5 g.
SOURCE: : Frieda's, Inc./ Official 5 A Day recipe.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Last Editorial Review: 2/14/2006