Cheesy Broccoli Soup
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 3 1/2 lb broccoli (about 4 bunches) washed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 14-oz cans of fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups 1% milk
- 3 cups shredded, reduced-fat Swiss cheese
1. Cut broccoli into small pieces, discarding any overly thick bottom stems.
2. Boil broccoli in a medium saucepan until just tender to retain nutrients. Immediately rinse with cold water, drain, and refrigerate.
3. In a large saucepan, saute green onions for about two minutes in butter or until tender.
4. Stir in chicken broth and slowly add flour, stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Bring to a slow boil on medium high heat, reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Add broccoli pieces to the broth and puree mixture in an electric blender or food processor until smooth.
6. Return soup to saucepan over low heat. Blend in milk and Swiss cheese and simmer gently until cheese melts but not until milk boils.
7. Add nutmeg, grated pepper, or grated cheddar cheese to taste.
Per serving: 240 calories, 17 g protein, 22 g carbohydrate, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 6 g fiber, 50% Daily Value of calcium, 280 mg sodium.
SOURCE: National Dairy Council.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Last Editorial Review: 2/14/2006