Better-for-You Mashed Potatoes
Make a higher-nutrient side dish by blending mashed cauliflower with mashed potatoes -- all dressed up with seasonings and even a sprinkling of reduced-fat cheddar, if you like.
- 2 large baked potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces
- 2 cups steamed or microwaved cauliflower florets, cooked just until tender
- 1/2 cup grated, reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk (fat-free half-and-half can be substituted); use more if needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A sprinkle or two of paprika or garlic powder (optional)
1. Put hot potato pieces, cauliflower florets, and grated cheese in a large mixing bowl. Beat on medium-low speed until nicely mashed. Pour in milk, and continue to beat until blended. Add a tablespoon or two more of milk if needed for desired consistency.
2. Add a touch of salt, pepper, and garlic powder or paprika (if desired) to taste.
Per serving (not including salt to taste): 140 calories, 5 g protein, 30 g carbohydrate, 0.7 g fat (0.3 g saturated fat, 0.2 g monounsaturated fat, 0.2 g polyunsaturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 51 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 4%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Last Editorial Review: 2/14/2006