Dips & Spreads
Use this quick recipe to flavor all sorts of dishes, from meats (try baking chicken breasts in it) to multi-ingredient Mexican entrees (like tacos, taco salad, enchiladas, and quesadillas).
- 2 large, ripe tomatoes
- 1/4 cup mild or sweet onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons canned, diced green chilies
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced (or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder)
- Freshly ground pepper
1. Dice the tomatoes, onion, and cilantro into chunks using a knife. Put them in a blender or small food processor.
2. Add the chilies, vinegar, salt, garlic or garlic powder, and pepper to the blender, and pulse briefly to blend. Pour into a serving bowl. Cover and keep in refrigerator until needed.
Serve with 8 cups reduced-fat tortilla chips.
NOTE: If you don't have a blender or food processor, dice all the ingredients into the smallest pieces possible, place in medium bowl, and stir to blend well.
10 servings, 1/4 cup each (2 1/2 cups of salsa).
Per 1/4-cup serving: 15 calories, 0.6 g protein, 3.5 g carbohydrate, 0.2 g fat (0 g saturated fat), 1 g fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 50 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 8%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Last Editorial Review: 2/14/2006