Dips & Spreads
Shrimp Taco Dip
- 8-ounce block of light or 1/3 less-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup (1/2 of an 8-ounce bottle) chili sauce (I use Heinz®)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen (recently thawed) tiny or small shrimp, drained, rinsed and patted dry very well
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 (3 to 4 ounce) can sliced black olives, patted dry
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated, part-skim mozzarella cheese, packed (reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese can also be used)
1. Mix the cream cheese and milk in a small mixing bowl with mixer until smooth. Spread on a small serving platter or in a 9x5-inch loaf pan in an even layer.
2. Layer the remaining ingredients on top of the cream cheese, in the order that they appear in the ingredient list.
3. Chill at least one hour before serving. Serve with reduced-fat tortilla chips or wheat crackers.
Per serving of the dip: 154 calories, 11 g protein, 8 g carbohydrate, 8 g fat (4.8 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 560 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 49%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Last Editorial Review: 2/14/2006