Dips & Spreads
Light 7 Layer Dip
Everyone loves this fun party dip, even kids! Keep it light by serving it with reduced-fat tortilla chips (homemade or store-bought) or reduced-fat crackers. Include 1/2 cup store-bought guacamole or make homemade by blending the following together in a small food processor:
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted, and diced
- 2 teaspoons lime juice, fresh or bottled
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- Garlic powder or garlic
- Salt to taste (optional)
- lack pepper to taste
- 8 ounces fat-free sour cream
- 1-ounce packet taco seasoning mix
- 15-ounce can fat-free or vegetarian refried beans
- 1 cup diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat Mexican-style cheese blend (i.e. Jack and cheddar)
- 2 1/4-ounce can sliced black olives (optional)
1. Make guacamole if you haven't already and set aside.
2. In small bowl, blend sour cream with taco seasoning.
3. Spread the refried beans in the bottom of a deep-dish pie plate (you can warm the beans up in the microwave briefly to make them more spreadable.)
4. Top the beans with the sour cream mixture, then top that with the guacamole.
5. Spread the tomatoes on top, then sprinkle the green onions over the top, followed by the shredded cheese and black olives if desired.
6. Serve with reduced-fat tortilla chips or reduced-fat crackers.
16 appetizer servings
Per serving (dip only): 85 calories, 5.2 g protein, 6.4 g carbohydrate, 4.4 g fat (1.9 g saturated fat, 1.9 g monounsaturated, 0.3 g polyunsaturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 0.7 g fiber, 258 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 46%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Last Editorial Review: 2/14/2006