- 7 slices of whole-wheat bread, cubed (not the small-sized slices)
- canola cooking spray
- 2 cooked boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup fat-free sour cream (light can be substituted)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half (low-fat milk can be substituted)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 can Campbell's Healthy Request® cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
1. Place half of the bread cubes in a 9x9-inch baking dish that has been coated with canola cooking spray.
2. In medium bowl, blend chicken pieces, green pepper, onion, celery, light mayonnaise, and sour cream together. Spread the mixture over the breadcrumbs.
3. Spread the remaining bread cubes over the chicken mixture.
4. In mixing bowl, beat egg, egg substitute, half-and-half, and salt together until smooth. Pour egg mixture evenly over the bread cubes. Cover dish and refrigerate overnight.
5. In the morning, preheat oven to 325°F. Spread condensed soup over the top of the casserole. Bake for 45 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over the top and bake 5 minutes longer.
Per serving: 326 calories, 25 g protein, 34 g carbohydrate, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat, 2.3 g monounsaturated fat, 1 g polyunsaturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 690 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 29%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Last Editorial Review: 2/14/2006