Ranger Rick beans
- 28 ounces can baked beans (such as Maple Cured Bacon Bush's Baked Beans®)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced
- 14 ounces package Louis Rich® Turkey Polska Kielbasa sausage links (or similar less-fat sausage), cut into small, bite-sized chunks
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 14.5 ounces can diced tomatoes, well drained (you can leave this out if desired)
- 1-2 tablespoons chili powder (use 1 tablespoon for a kid-friendly version)
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced or chopped garlic (1 teaspoon garlic powder can be substituted)
- 1 or 2 dashes cayenne pepper (add more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes (optional -- if you want to turn up the 'heat')
1. Add baked beans, diced onion, bell pepper, sausage, ketchup, and diced stewed tomatoes to slow cooker.
2. Sprinkle chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, salt if desired, and cayenne pepper over the top of bean mixture and stir well.
3. Turn slow cooker to HIGH and heat 2-4 hours or turn slow cooker to LOW and heat 8-10 hours.
NOTE: if you want to use a Dutch oven, preheat oven to 350°F, add all the ingredients to a Dutch oven, stir, and bake for 1 hour.
12 side servings (about 3/4 cup each)
Per serving: 184 calories, 10 g protein, 28 g carbohydrate, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 600 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 17%.
SOURCE: Magee,E. the HRT-free Cookbook, Avery, June 2004
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Last Editorial Review: 2/14/2006