Pesto Pasta Salad
- 12 ounces pasta of choice, dried (rotelle, penne, etc.)
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup fresh basil, rinsed and well drained
- 2 cups chopped vine-ripened tomatoes or quartered cherry tomatoes
- 2 jars (6 ounces each) artichoke hearts (water packed or marinated), rinsed and drained
- 7 ounces container Armanino® Pesto Sauce (in frozen food section of your supermarket) or 14 tablespoons of another pesto made with olive oil or canola oil, thawed
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1. Boil water in large saucepan. Add pasta and continue to boil until pasta is tender (according to directions on package), about 10-12 minutes, then drain well in colander.
2. While noodles are boiling, toast pine nuts in 400°F oven (use 300°F if using a toaster oven) until light brown, watching carefully (about 3-5 minutes). Cool and add to serving bowl.
3. Coarsely chop fresh basil; add to serving bowl. Chop tomatoes and artichoke hearts and add to serving bowl.
4. Add drained noodles to serving bowl. Add pesto sauce and parmesan cheese and toss well. Store in refrigerator until needed.
10 servings (about 1 cup per serving)
Per serving: 245 calories, 9 g protein, 32 g carbohydrate, 9.5 g fat (1.8 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 3.5 g fiber, 168 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 35%.
SOURCE: Magee,E. the HRT-free Cookbook, Avery, June 2004
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Last Editorial Review: 2/14/2006