Passover Recipes: Tasty with Less Fat, Calories (cont.)
1 cup chopped onion
2 cups (about 8 ounces) sliced mushrooms
2 cups grated or diced carrots
1 cup diced zucchini
2 10-ounce boxes frozen, chopped spinach (thawed and gently squeezed to eliminate excess water)
1/2 cup Matzo Meal (use unsalted if someone is on a low-sodium diet)
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup egg substitute
1/4 teaspoon salt (add more to taste), optional
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons low-sodium chicken broth powder
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Coat a 9x9-inch or 8x8-inch baking pan with canola cooking spray.
- Coat a large nonstick frying pan with canola cooking spray. Add the onions and mushrooms, cover pan, and let cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are lightly browned.
- Add the mushroom mixture to a large bowl along with all remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly (a wooden spoon or your hands work best). Spread into the prepared pan and bake until firm and lightly browned on the bottom (45-60 minutes).
Makes 9 servings
Nutritional information per serving (using low sodium matzo meal): 104 calories, 8 g protein, 14 g carbohydrate, 2.6 g fat (0.8 g saturated fat, 0.7 g monounsaturated fat, 0.4 g polyunsaturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 3.5 g fiber, 134 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 21%.
Roasted Garlic Potatoes
The original recipe called for a stick of margarine. We have cut this to 3 tablespoons, and are using a no- or low-trans-fat margarine with about 8 grams of fat per tablespoon (kosher versions are available). If you want to make half a recipe, pour the potato mixture into a 9-inch, deep-dish pie plate and bake for the same amount of time.
4 pounds small, new red-skinned potatoes, scrubbed (if you use larger red potatoes, just cut them in half)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons dill weed (dried)
1 whole garlic bulb; separate the cloves and peel them
3 tablespoons no-or low-trans-fat margarine (with 8 grams fat per tablespoon), melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, tossing to coat the potatoes well.
- Pour mixture into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and use a scraper to scrape all the margarine and seasonings from the sides of the bowl, drizzling over the potatoes in pan.
- Bake for about 1 1/2 hours or until potatoes are cooked throughout and lightly browned.
Makes 12 servings
Nutritional information per serving: 121 calories, 4 g protein, 20 g carbohydrate, 2.2 g fat (0.4 g saturated fat, 0.5 g monounsaturated fat, 0.9 g polyunsaturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 2.6 g fiber, 200 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 16%.
Medically updated March 2006
©2006 WebMD Inc. All rights reserved.