Potluck Makeovers: Lighter Recipes of Favorites (cont.)
Yield: 12 servings
Per serving: 115 calories, 7 g protein, 12 g carbohydrate, 4.5 g fat, 1.6 g saturated fat, 5 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 247 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 35%.
Creamy Peanut Coleslaw
The peanuts add crunch and complement the coleslaw flavor.
9 cups shredded cabbage (you can buy this in bags in the produce section)
3 medium carrots, grated (or use 12 cups of prepared coleslaw mixture in bags, if you buy the kind with grated carrots mixed in)
4 green onions (the white and part of the green), chopped
6 tablespoons light mayonnaise
6 tablespoons light or nonfat sour cream
3 tablespoons granulated sugar (or use 1 1/2 tablespoons each of sugar and Splenda)
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons apple juice
1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
1/2 cup roasted peanuts, unsalted or lightly salted
- In large serving bowl, mix cabbage with carrot and green onions.
- To make dressing, whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, sugar, mustard, vinegar, apple juice, and celery seed in a small bowl. Pour over cabbage mixture.
- Sprinkle peanuts over the top and serve. Or cover and keep chilled in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Yield: 12 servings
Per serving: 105 calories, 3 g protein, 12 g carbohydrate, 5.5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 2.5 g fiber, 94 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 46%.
Easy Cherry-Berry Cheesecake Cobbler
16 ounces light or fat-free cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 large egg
2 egg whites or 1/4 cup egg substitute
1 can (20 ounces) Comstock light or regular cherry pie filling
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1 package yellow cake mix (about 4 cups)
1/2 cup low-fat lemon or vanilla yogurt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Coat a 9x13-inch baking dish with canola cooking spray.
- Mix cream cheese, vanilla, and sugar in mixer bowl on medium speed until smooth. Add the egg and egg whites (or egg substitute) and blend well. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- In an 8 cup measure or similar, gently stir the blueberries into the cherry pie filling. Spread the fruit topping evenly over the cream cheese mixture in baking dish.
- In same 8 cup measure, blend cake mix and yogurt with a fork (mixture will be crumbly). Spread over the fruit and cream cheese and bake for about 25 minutes. Let cool, then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Yield: 18 servings
Per serving: 260 calories, 5 g protein, 43 g carbohydrate, 7.5 g fat, 3.3 g saturated fat, 23 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 328 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 26%.
Medically updated June 7, 2006.
Originally published June 30, 2005.
©2006 WebMD Inc. All rights reserved.