Winter Super Foods: Dried Fruit: Recipes
WebMD Public Information from the Department of Health and Human Services
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic - Feature
Wild Rice With Sun Dried Tomatoes| Sea Bass With Dried Fruit Salsa
WILD RICE WITH SUN DRIED TOMATOES
Our Advice: Journal as 1/2 cup starchy foods without fat + 1 teaspoon oil
4 oz wild rice
2 Tbsp pine nuts
1 cup sun dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
1/4 cup sliced black olives
1/4 cup minced parsley
- Cook the rice in an abundant amount of boiling, salted water in a large pot for 35 to 45 minutes or until the grains have almost doubled in size and are tender but still chewy.
- Toast the pine nuts lightly (dry skillet) until tan and add to rice.
- Toss gently to mix.
Yield: 4 servings
Nutritional Analysis per serving: Calories 170, Fat 4g, Calories From Fat 20%, Protein 7g, Carbohydrates 30g, Fiber 3g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 358mg.
SEA BASS WITH DRIED FRUIT SALSA
Our Advice: Journal as 1/4 cup dried fruit + 6 ounces lean fish with 1 teaspoon fat.
4 (5- to 6-ounce) sea bass fillets, about 1 inch thick
2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup of each dried fruit, mango, papaya, cherry, and pineapple
1/3 cup apple juice or cider
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
2 Tbsp apricot jam
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- Rub fish with olive oil.
- Combine coriander, cumin, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper; mix well. Set aside 1/2 teaspoon of the mixture for the fruit salsa. Add salt to remaining mixture.
- Rub seasonings over both sides of fish.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over high heat until hot.
- Add fish. Reduce heat to medium, cook 3-5 minutes or until fish is browned and seared. Turn fish over; cook about five minutes or until fish is slightly firm and flaky.
- Combine dried fruit, juice, vinegar, and 1/2 teaspoon reserved seasoning mixture in a small saucepan or microwave-safe dish. Bring to a boil. Stir in jam. Let stand five minutes.
- Transfer fish to serving plates. Top with fruit salsa and sprinkle with cilantro.
Yield: 4 servings
Nutritional Analysis per serving: Calories 337, Fat 6g, Calories From Fat 16%, Protein 28g, Carbohydrates 43g, Fiber 3g, Cholesterol 58mg, Sodium 241mg.
©1996-2005 WebMD Inc. All rights reserved.
Last Editorial Review: 3/31/2005 9:55:18 PM