Sandwich: The Sandwich Goes Upscale (cont.)
Yield: 5 half sandwiches
Per half sandwich: 280 calories, 16 g protein, 28 g carbohydrate, 10 g fat (5.6 g saturated fat, 2 g monounsaturated fat, 0.10 g polyunsaturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 820 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 35%.
Egg & Cucumber Tea Sandwiches
2 large hard-boiled eggs (use higher-omega-3 eggs, if available), cooled and peeled
1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
1 tablespoon fat-free half-and-half
1/2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint leaves
Freshly ground pepper and salt to taste
4 small slices of 100% whole-wheat bread
About 2/3 cup thinly sliced English cucumber, with or without peel
2 teaspoons less-fat margarine (such as Take Control, with 8 grams of fat per tablespoon)
- Grate or chop the eggs and put them in a small bowl.
- Stir in the mayonnaise, half-and-half, and fresh mint, and stir well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread mixture on 2 slices of the bread. Top with the sliced cucumber.
- Spread a teaspoon of less-fat margarine on one side of the remaining slices of bread. Top the egg mixture with the margarine side of these bread slices to make 2 sandwiches. Cut each into 4 triangles and serve.
Yield: 2 sandwiches (4 tea triangles each)
Per sandwich: 300 calories, 14 g protein, 36 g carbohydrate, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat, 3.8 g monounsaturated fat, 2.2 g polyunsaturated fat), 212 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 500 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 33%.
Tuscany Meatless Sandwiches
Makes 1 open-face sandwich (to make more, just increase the ingredients for as many sandwiches as you need)
1 large slice sourdough or French bread, or a 7-inch-long baguette half
About 7 large fresh basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon olive oil (flavored or extra-virgin)
3 large, thick slices of fresh mozzarella cheese (about 1.5 ounces)
1/2 large vine-ripened tomato, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
Freshly ground pepper
- Cover the bread with fresh basil leaves. Drizzle 1/2 teaspoon olive oil evenly over the basil. Top that with fresh mozzarella slices.
- Broil sandwich, watching carefully, until cheese is melted and starting to lightly brown in spots (about 5 minutes in a toaster oven).
- Lay tomato slices on top of the mozzarella, then drizzle 1/2 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar over all.
Per open-face sandwich: 314 calories, 18 g protein, 35 g carbohydrate, 11.5 g fat (5.3 g saturated fat, 4.4 g monounsaturated fat, 1 g polyunsaturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 560 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 33%.
©1996-2005 WebMD Inc. All rights reserved.