Recipes Men Love: Healthy Comfort Food (cont.)
Yield: Eight servings.
Per serving: 450 calories, 38 g protein, 26 g carbohydrate, 19 g fat (6.4 g saturated fat, 9 g monounsaturated fat, 3.1 g polyunsaturated fat), 123 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 378 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 38%.
Apple Pie Crisp
Journal as: 1 medium piece of fresh fruit + 1/4 cup of granola/muesli cereal
Most men LOVE apple pie. This is the lower-calorie version. With the wonderful crumb topping, they'll hardly notice there isn't any crust.
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup unbleached white flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons no-trans-fat margarine with 8 grams fat per tablespoon, melted (melt in microwave or small saucepan)
3 tablespoons maple syrup, pancake syrup, or light pancake syrup
4 cups cored and thinly sliced apples (pippin and Granny Smith work well), firmly packed
1/4 cup sugar (or substitute 2 tablespoons Splenda)
1 teaspoon apple pie spice
2 tablespoons unbleached flour
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 9x9-inch baking dish, 9-inch cake pan, or deep-dish pie plate with canola cooking spray.
- Toast the walnuts by spreading on a pie plate and heating in oven until fragrant (about 7 minutes). Chop the nuts medium-fine.
- Combine the flours, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Drizzle the melted margarine and maple syrup over the top and blend on LOW speed until crumbly. Add the chopped nuts and mix well. (The topping can be prepared up to a week ahead and refrigerated.)
- Put the sliced apples in a large bowl. Add the sugar and apple pie spice to a 1-cup measure, then pour over the apples and toss. Sprinkle the 2 tablespoons flour over the apples and mix gently. Pour the mixture evenly into the prepared baking dish.
- Spoon the topping over the apples, pressing down lightly. Place the dish on a baking sheet (if necessary) to catch any overflow. Bake on the center rack of oven until the topping is golden brown and the juices have thickened slightly, about 35-45 minutes.
- Serve warm with light vanilla ice cream!
Yield: Eight servings
Per serving (using Take Control margarine): 227 calories, 4 g protein, 37 g carbohydrate, 7.5 g fat (0.7 g saturated fat, 2.7 g monounsaturated fat, 3.8 g polyunsaturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 35 mg sodium, omega-3 fatty acids = 1 g, 0mega-6 fatty acids = 4 g. Calories from fat: 35%.
SOURCES: Physiology & Behavior, September 2003.
Originally Published June 11, 2004
Medically Updated May 12, 2005
©1996-2005 WebMD Inc. All rights reserved.