Microwave Artichokes with Roasted Garlic Dipping Sauce
Microwave some artichokes for a quick and easy side dish. The light roasted garlic dipping sauce helps keep them light and low in calories.
- 1 garlic bulb; trim 1/4 inch off the top
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise (or substitute fat-free)
- 2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- Black pepper to taste
- 4 medium artichokes
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place the garlic bulb on a piece of foil and drizzle olive oil over the top (the cut side) of the bulb. Wrap foil around the garlic bulb, sealing it at the top. Place in oven for 30-40 minutes or until garlic is soft and roasted. Let cool about 15 minutes.
2. Squeeze into a custard cup all of the garlic cloves from their bulbs by pressing with your hands from the bottom of the bulbs to the top (cut side). Add the mayonnaise and sour cream, and stir with fork to blend well. Add black pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
3. Meanwhile, cut the artichokes lengthwise -- from the stem to the tip of the artichoke. Place artichoke halves in a large, microwave-safe container with 1/2 cup of water. Microwave on HIGH until tender (about 15 minutes). Carve out the inedible thistle part of the artichoke with a small spoon and discard.
4. Serve each artichoke half with a small dab of the roasted garlic dipping sauce in the center cavity.
Per serving: 111 calories, 5.5 g protein, 19 g carbohydrate, 2.7 g fat (0.5 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 7 g fiber, 177 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 20%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Last Editorial Review: 12/9/2005