From Our Archives
High Blood Pressure Quiz
One in four American adults has
high blood pressure (HBP, also called
hypertension). Left untreated, HBP puts you at greater risk for
kidney failure and eye problems. What's your HBP I.Q.?
Take the test:
- HBP means that blood is having a hard time reaching the heart. True
- You have HBP if you have these symptoms: blurry vision, chest pains or
headache. True or False
- Cutting back on salty snacks and foods is all you need to do to lower
HBP. True or False
- The only way to know if you have HBP is to have your blood pressure
checked. True or False
- False. HBP makes the heart work harder to pump blood to
the body, which can damage the blood vessels and organs if not treated.
It also contributes to hardening of the arteries (atherosclerosis).
- False. HBP does not cause symptoms unless it is
severely high. In fact, nearly one-third of people who have HBP don't
- False. While reducing sodium can help, other lifestyle
changes are usually necessary, such as losing weight, stopping smoking,
eating healthful foods and getting enough exercise.
- True. Be sure to get your blood pressure checked
regularly, especially if you have a close relative who has HBP.