How Safe Are America's Medicines?
No. 1 of WebMD's Top 10 Stories of 2004: A series of drug removals and warnings opened up a floodgate of questions over the safety of drugs. What have we learned, and what can we expect in the future?
By Daniel DeNoon
Reviewed By Michael Smith
Are medicines safe for us and for our children? Americans once thought so. Now we aren't so sure.
It's been a shaky year for our faith in U.S. drug safety:
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions