Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Plastic Surgery
If you're thinking about getting cosmetic surgery, it's your
job to become an informed consumer. Selecting a qualified
doctor, with a lot of training and experience in the procedure
you'd like to get, is essential.
Ask the right questions to get the best treatment:
- What state is the doctor licensed to practice
- Is the doctor board certified? With which board? The
doctor should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
- What training did the surgeon have after medical
school? Was it plastic surgery?
- How many surgeries of this type does the doctor
perform each year?
- How many years has the doctor performed this type of
- What hospital can the doctor admit patients or work
in? You'll want to know in case of an emergency. You can also check with the
hospital for the surgeon's credentials.
- If the doctor operates in his or her office or
ambulatory health care facility, is it accredited? Check with the American
Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities or
Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care, Inc. to find out. It can
mean a higher standard of care.
- Does the doctor have life-saving equipment and
- Who administers the anesthesia? Ideally, this person
is a board-certified anesthesiologist or certified registered nurse
- What are the risks of the procedure? How often do
they happen? What does the doctor do if they happen?
- What is the expected recovery for the procedure
- Check with the state medical board for complaints or
malpractice suits against the doctor.