Sleep and Depression (cont.)
Psychotherapy can also address coping skills to improve a person's ability to
What Other Techniques Can Help Me Sleep?
In addition to trying medications,
here are some tips to improve sleep:
- Learn relaxation and deep breathing techniques.
- Clear your head of concerns by writing a list of
activities that need to be completed the next day and tell yourself you'll
think about it tomorrow.
- Get regular exercise, no later than a few hours
- Don't use caffeine, alcohol, or nicotine in the
- Don't lie in bed tossing and turning.
- Get out of bed and do something in another room when
you cant sleep.
- Go back to bed when you're feeling drowsy.
the bed only for sleeping and sexual activity.
- Don't lie in bed to watch TV or read. This way, your bed becomes a cue
for sleeping, not for lying awake.
Reviewed by The Sleep Medicine Center at The Cleveland Clinic.
Edited by Michael J.
, WebMD, September 2004.
Portions of this page © The Cleveland Clinic
Last Editorial Review: 6/20/2005