Extreme Makeover: Coming to a Beach Near You (cont.)
Sandal Season Strategies
Feet. The latest statistics show that cosmetic foot surgery is on the rise, even though organizations -- including the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons -- strongly caution against such cosmetic procedures. "I do tend to do a lot more surgeries before summer because it's sandal season and a lot of women want to get their feet looking nice for summer and they may be in bad shape from winter," says New York City podiatrist Oliver Zong, DPM.
"The most common is little pinky toe surgery called toe tuck," he says.
It involves a pinky toe that is painful from being cramped in a shoe and as a result, has become crooked, fat, pudgy, red, and really painful and we make it straight and slimmer, and you are able to wear heels and look better without shoes," he says.
Also, "a lot of women get toe shortening of the second toe, which may be very long, and either they don't like the way it looks or it jams in their shoe and becomes crooked," Zong says. Other foot procedures include collagen injections that add temporary padding to the soles of the feet.
There are new treatments that may be a viable way to get rid of cellulite once and for all, experts tell WebMD.
They include mesotherapy, lasers, and combinations thereof.
"Mesotherapy is a technique where we inject medication, plant extracts, and vitamins into the mesoderm layer of the skin to break-up the amount of cellulite that's visible," explains Marion Shapiro, DO, president of Mesotherapy Associates in New York City and West Orange, N.J. The mesoderm is the middle layer of the skin. "We break the band in skin that causes the lumpy appearance and melt the fat to give a smoother appearance," she says. Shapiro regularly performs mesotherapy on legs, arms, backs, and abdomens.
"You typically see results in four weeks depending on how severe the cellulite is and it costs roughly $500 a session," she says. "It is the only method of permanently getting rid of 50% of cellulite," she says. And it only takes 20 minutes.
"With mesotherapy, you can finally take your sarong off and reveal your new you," she says. When it comes to cellulite, 80% of women have cellulite and the other 20% think they do, quips Tina Alster, MD, director of the Washington Institute of Dermatologic Laser Surgery in Washington. The next big thing in cellulite removal may very well be a new technique called Velasmooth that combines radiofrequency waves, a laser, and a mechanical massage to break up the fat and mobilize the water from tissues to improve the appearance of cellulite. Alster is currently conducting clinical trials using Velasmooth twice a week for a month.
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions