Long-Term Care: Choosing the Right Place (cont.)

Some assisted living facilities are part of a continuing care retirement community or lifecare community. These communities offer independent living and skilled nursing facilities as well as assisted living. Sometimes assisted living help is set up in a home with only a few residents. These are often called board and care homes.

If your relative becomes very frail or suffers from the later stages of dementia, more care could be needed. A nursing home or skilled nursing facility may be necessary if someone:

  • needs round-the-clock nursing care,
  • might wander away without supervision,
  • needs help with meals, bathing, personal care, medications, and moving around,
  • needs more help than the current caregiver can possibly give, or cannot live alone.

These places supply 24-hour services and supervision, including medical care and some physical, speech, and occupational therapy, to people living there. They might also offer other services such as social activities and transportation. As a rule, the rooms are for one or two people. Some places want residents to bring some special items from home to make their rooms more familiar. Some even allow a pet or make it possible for couples to stay together.

Both assisted living and skilled nursing facilities sometimes offer special areas for people with dementia. These areas are designed to meet the special needs of these people and to keep them safe from wandering.

How to choose

Ask questions. Find out about what is available in your area. Is there any place close enough for family and friends to visit easily? Doctors, friends and relatives, local hospital discharge planners and social workers, and religious organizations may know of places.

Also, each state has a Long-Term Care Ombudsman. They have information and may be able to answer questions about a place you are considering. The ombudsman is also available to help solve problems that might come up between a nursing home and the resident or the family. To find your state long-term care ombudsman, contact the Administration on Aging's Eldercare Locator at 1-800-677-1116 or www.eldercare.gov.

Is the person in need of long-term care a military veteran? They might be able to get help through the Department of Veterans Affairs programs. You can check by going to www.va.gov, calling the VA Health Care Benefits number, 1-877-222-8387, or contacting the VA medical center nearest you.

Call. Once you have a list of possible places, get in touch with each one. Ask basic questions about openings and waiting lists, number of residents, costs and methods of payment, and their link to Medicare and Medicaid. Take a few minutes to think about what's important to you or your relative, such as transportation, meals, activities, connection to a certain religion, or special units for Alzheimer's disease.

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors