Definition of oma
oma: Suffix meaning a swelling or tumor. Many words in medicine end in -oma. Some examples include adenoma, atheroma, carcinoma, condyloma, fibroma, glaucoma, glioma, granuloma, hemangioma, hematoma, lipoma, lymphoma, melanoma, meningioma, myeloma, neuroblastoma, neuroma, papilloma, retinoblastoma, sarcoma, and xanthoma.
The medical suffix -oma came from the Greek suffix -oma which was used in a different way -- to transform a verb into a noun.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions