Definition of Typhoon
Typhoon: A regionally specific name for a strong tropical cyclone in the Northwest Pacific Ocean west of the dateline.
Other terms for precisely the same type of storm include hurricane (in the North Atlantic Ocean, the Northeast Pacific Ocean east of the dateline, or the South Pacific Ocean east of 160E), severe tropical cyclone (in the Southwest Pacific Ocean west of 160E or Southeast Indian Ocean east of 90E), severe cyclonic storm (in the North Indian Ocean) and tropical cyclone (in the Southwest Indian Ocean).
See: Hurricane supplies kit.Last Editorial Review: 10/9/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions