Definition of Ceteris paribus
Ceteris paribus: 1. Literally (in Latin), other things the same. 2. Figuratively, all else being equal (staying the same). 3. In research, the effect of one variable when other factors remain constant.
For example, the ceteris paribus thinking has been that the sharp decline in cirrhosis deaths in Paris during the war was due to the drop in wine consumption.
Last Editorial Review: 9/20/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions