Definition of Recurrent trisomy
Recurrent trisomy: Recurrence of trisomy, as when there are two or more children with trisomy in the same family. Recurrent trisomy may involve the same chromosome (homotrisomy) or different chromosomes (heterotrisomy).
Women who have had a child with trisomy 21 have a significantly increased risk of having another pregnancy with trisomy 21. There is also an increased risk of heterotrisomy following a trisomic pregnancy, indicating that some women have an increased risk of meiotic nondisjunction.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions