Definition of Fragile X chromosome
Fragile X chromosome: An X chromosome with a heritable fragile site associated with a frequent form of mental retardation -- the fragile X syndrome.
The fragile X chromosome was first sighted by Dr. Herbert A. Lubs in 1969 who termed it the "marker X.". The fragile X is also called FRAXA. It was the first fragile site found on the X chromosome.
The fragile X chromosome is due to a trinucleotide repeat sequence (a recurring motif of 3 bases) in the DNA at that spot.
Last Editorial Review: 8/28/2013
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions