Definition of Fistula
Fistula: An abnormal passageway in the body. The fistula may go from the body surface into a blindpouch or into an internal organ or go between two internal organs.
There are numerous types of fistulas or (if you like the proper Latin plural) fistula. They are usually designated by the organs or parts they connect (anovaginal, bronchoesophageal, etc.).
Last Editorial Review: 8/28/2013
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions