Definition of Chaperone
Chaperone: 1. Any protein that is required for the proper folding or assembly of another protein or protein complex without being a component of the final structure. 2. A woman who is present when a male physician examines a female patient. 3. Anyone present when a physician examines a patient of the opposite sex from the physician.
From the original meaning of chaperone as a person (usually a matron) who accompanied an unmarried woman in public or mixed company for the sake of propriety.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions