Definition of Antean
Antean: Exceptionally strong or large.
After Antaeus, the mythological Greek giant. The son of the earth mother Gaia, Antaeus challenged anyone he encountered to wrestle and always won, since he received strength from his mother, the earth, as long as he was in touch with her. Hercules discovered the secret of Antaeus, lifted him off the ground, and crushed him.
Last Editorial Review: 9/20/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions