Definition of Facultative heterochromatin
Facultative heterochromatin: Chromosome material that can be either heterochromatin or euchromatin.
The inactive X chromosome is made up of facultative heterochromatin. When a woman transmits that X chromosome to a son, the chromosome reverts to the euchromatic state and to genetic activity.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions