Definition of Sesquipedalian
Sesquipedalian: A long polysyllabic word that means having many syllables or using long words.
From the Latin sesqui- meaning one and a half times + ped, pes meaning foot. In Ars Poetica, the Roman poet Horace cautioned young poets against using "sesquipedalia verba" -- "words a foot and a half long."
For example, Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanosconiosis.
Last Editorial Review: 9/20/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions