Definition of Involute
Involute: 1. Literally, to turn inward or roll inward. 2. To decrease in size after an enlargement. The uterus involutes after pregnancy. The thymus involutes after adolescence. 3. To undergo a retrograde change. After treatment, a tumor may involute. 4. To shrink physically and emotionally with advancing age.
From the Latin involutio, from in- meaning into + volvere meaning to roll.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions