Definition of Pinnate
Pinnate: 1. Like the pinna, the part of the ear that projects ("wings out") from the head. 2. Like a feather or leaf with similar parts arranged symmetrically on opposite sides of a central axis.
From the Latin pinnatus meaning winged or feathered, from the Latin pinna meaning a wing or feather.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions