Salmonella from Raw Meat Alert
Comments: Last summer when many people were enjoying hamburgers cooked outdoors on the grill, there was a lot of discussion about the dangers of acquiring a salmonella infection from eating underdone beef. Everyone was encouraged to ask that their burgers be well done. Then as the winter season approached, attention began to be focused more on other health threats such as the flu.
But the specter of salmonella hasn't gone away. Since last fall, at least 37 people in 6 states (New York and New England) have become ill with salmonella and the USDA believes that eating raw or undercooked ground beef may be the cause. We all are again reminded not to eat raw ground beef. This would seem to rule out steak tartar, even on a fancy restaurant menu.
FSIS Issues Alert On The Importance Of Cooking And Handling Ground Beef
WASHINGTON, Jan. 29, 2004 - The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service is issuing a public health alert to remind consumers of the importance of following food safety guidelines when handling and preparing raw meat.