Definition of Marx, Gertie F.
Marx, Gertie F.: Distinguished German-born American physician known as the "mother of obstetric anesthesia." She almost singlehandedly developed obstetric anesthesiology as a specialty. She advanced the use of epidural injections to ease women's pain during childbirth. She developed an epidural needle that bears her name and she was the founding editor of Obstetric Anesthesia Digest. Dr. Marx died in New York in 2004 at the age of 91.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions