Definition of Alveolar
Alveolar: Pertaining to the alveoli, the tiny air sacs in the lungs. The exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide takes place in the alveoli which look like cells in a honeycomb.
The word comes from the Latin diminutive of "alveus" meaning a cavity or hollow = a little cavity or hollow.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions