Definition of DKK1
DKK1: A gene that inhibits the activity of osteoblasts, the cells that build bone. DKK1 acts by inhibiting Wnt signaling, which is essential for the growth and development of osteoblasts.
DKK1 is overexpressed in the plasma cells in multiple myeloma. The DKK1 produced by the myeloma cells tips the balance between osteoblasts and osteoclasts in favor of bone resorption. This contributes to the maintenance of the lytic ("punched-out") lesions in bone characteristic of multiple myeloma. DKK1 stands for Dickkopf1.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions