Definition of Bone morphogenic protein 2
Bone morphogenetic protein 2: A protein that induces the formation of bone and cartilage. Bone morphogenic protein 2 (which is symbolized BMP2) belongs to a superfamily called transforming growth factor beta (TGF-beta). The gene for BMP2 is on chromosome 20 in band 20p12.3. Three sets of variations within the BMP2 gene reportedly triple the risk of developing osteoporosis.
REFERENCE: NCBI.gov. BMP2 bone morphogenetic protein 2 [Homo sapiens].
Last Editorial Review: 9/27/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions