Viewer Question:What is the condition where the big toe curves into the second toe and causes a corn to develop on the second toe? Is the bone deformity of the big toe correctable?
This condition is referred to as valgus deformity of the great toe or hallux valgus. Hallux valgus is commonly associated with bunion deformity of the base of the big toe as a result of degenerative arthritis there. It can be corrected with surgical repair.
Thank you for your question.
Medical Author: William Shiel, MD, FACP, FACR
Back to Focus on Feet and Fitness
Last Editorial Review: 9/19/2003
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions