What causes a painful burning sensation in the ball of the foot?
There are a number of possible causes of such burning symptoms in the ball of the foot. These include scar tissue around the nerve of sensation (a neuroma), tarsal tunnel syndrome, arthritis of the joints of the ball of the foot, foreign material stuck into the bottom of the foot (such as a small thorn), and insect stings.
Thank you for your question.
Medical Author: William Shiel, MD, FACP, FACR
Last Editorial Review: 7/14/2003
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions