Doctor's Responses Archive

Viewer Question:

Is there another medical term for fallen arches?

Doctor's Response:

The medical term for fallen arches is pes planus. Pes planus can occur from birth and is not always a medical problem (pathologic). It can also occur over time from degeneration of the cartilage and ligaments that support the arch of the foot. It is especially important for persons with pes planus that is caused by degeneration to use comfortable footwear.

Thank you for your question.

Medical Author: William Shiel, MD, FACP, FACR

Last Editorial Review: 7/14/2003

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors