What causes redness and swelling around the ankle and along side of foot. Discomfort is in arch of foot. Difficult to walk without pain.
There are many possible causes for such swelling and foot discomfort. Among the causes are injuries with strain to the ligaments in the area of the swelling, arthritis of the ankle joint, and inflammation of the tissue of the sole of the foot (plantar fasciitis).
For more, please see MedicineNet's com's site: Focus On Arthritis Topics.
Thank you for your question.
Medical Author: William Shiel, MD, FACP, FACR
Last Editorial Review: 7/14/2003
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions