Definition of Midget
Midget: A very small person (or thing). Midget is a picturesque but somewhat disparaging term. It is the diminutive of midge (the insect), and who wants to be a mini-midge? A more correct term today for a very small person is dwarf or little person.
The notion that a midget is (as some dictionaries state) a "normal dwarf, a person who is unusually short...but is not deformed" is incorrect.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions