Definition of Jewett staging system
Jewett staging system: A system for determining the stage of a prostate cancer. The system uses ABCD. The letters "A" and "B" designate cancers that are confined to the prostate. The letter "C" applies to cancers that have grown out of the prostate but have not yet metastasized (spread) to lymph nodes or other sites. And the letter "D" refers to prostate cancer that has spread to lymph nodes or to other sites.
The Jewett staging system is also sometimes called the ABCD rating or the Whitmore-Jewett staging system.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions