Healthy Aging Month
Facts About Americas Seniors:
- There are 35 million people 65 and over in the United States. That's about
12 percent of the total population!
- The median household income for householders 65 and over in 2000 was
$23,047. This is down 2.3 percent from the 1999 census after adjustment for
- 10.2 percent of the people 65 and over live in poverty.
- 14 percent of the people 65 and over are part of the civilian labor force in
Among employed people 65 and over, women were less likely than men to work in
executive, administrative and managerial occupations in 2000. Women, on the
other hand, worked more frequently in administrative support jobs than did
- 49,000 people 65 and over enrolled in college in October 2000.
- Among the population 75 years and over in 2000, 67 percent of men and only
29 percent of women were living with their spouses. (The remaining 33 percent
of men and 71 percent of women were either living alone, with relatives, or a
- Among the population 65 to 74 years old, 77 percent of men and 53 percent of
women lived with their spouses. (The remaining 23 percent of men and 47 percent
of women were either living alone, with relatives, or a nursing home.)
- 72 percent of citizens ages 65 to 74 voted in the 2000 presidential
election, the highest rate of any age group!
- 81 percent of householders age 65-74 owned the home in which they lived.
This is the highest home-ownership rate of any age group.
- 27 percent of U.S. residents 65 and over in 2000 were foreign-born
themselves or had at least one foreign-born parent.
- The U.S. ranks 2nd among all countries in number of people 80 and over (in
2000). China ranked first. The U.S. contains 5 percent of the world's total
population, and 13 percent of all people 80 and over.
- There are 70 men for every 100 women in the 65 and over age group. The
male-female ration drops steadily by age group.
- In the year 2000 there were 50,454 centenarians in the U.S., that's 1 in
- The most popular form of recreation among people 65 and over, by far, is
exercise walking! Swimming and exercising with equipment are popular as well.