Definition of Spermatogenesis
Spermatogenesis: The process of sperm formation.
The term was created from the prefix "spermato-" (Greek sperma, the seed or germ) + "genesis" (the coming into being of something) = the coming into being of sperm.
Spermatogenesis is in contrast to oogenesis, the process of egg (ovum) formation.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions